Laughing Buddha ( Happy Buddha)
Laughing Buddha ( Happy Buddha)Known as Hotei (Japan) and Pu-Tai (China), these figures embody the ideals of the good life: health, happiness, prosperity and longevity.
They represent the later Buddhist notions that the good life was indeed attainable in this world. It consisted of self-mastery, a happy demeanor, purposeful endeavor, a deep commitment to the welfare of others and enlightened awareness.
Scholars believe that the Laughing Buddha is in fact modeled on an historical figure, a fat wandering Zen monk named Pu-tai.
All sources describe him as obese, with wrinkled forehead, and a white protruding belly which he left uncovered. There was another feature of his bodily appearance that captured attention.
Wherever he went, he wore a pu-tai (Japanese Hotei) or cloth-bag. Thus he came to be known as Pu-tai Hoshang or hemp-bag monk.
Legend has it that in this bag he carried candy for the children. Over the centuries within China, Buddhist notions of happiness based on self-mastery and enlightened insight were fused with popular Chinese life-ideals of happiness through material prosperity, thus today the hemp sack may be interpreted as filled with gold, filled with happiness, health, and other aspects of abundance.
Yellow shines with optimism, enlightenment, and happiness. Shades of golden yellow carry the promise of a positive future. Yellow will advance from surrounding colors and instill optimism and energy, as well as spark creative thoughts.
How the color yellow affects us physically
- Stimulates mental processes
- Stimulates the nervous system
- Activates memory
- Encourages communication
Yellow: The color of the solar plexus chakra
Yellow is the color of the Solar Plexus Chakra, also known as Manipura.
This chakra is located in the stomach area. It is linked to the stomach, liver, skin, large intestine, muscular system, and solar plexus area.
The Solar Plexus Chakra is representative of vitality and will. When this chakra is open, it acts to empower a person and help them find their personal strength. It will help turn dreams and goals into reality.
Gemstones that will aid the Solar Plexus Chakra include amber and citrine.me
Religious & mythological associations with yellow
- Yellow is representative of “Greed” in Christianity.
Political associations of yellow
- The phrase “Yellow Dog Democrat” refers to a person who is a hard-core Democrat. This originates back to Southerners in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries who disliked the Republicans. Such people would rather vote for a “yellow dog” than a Republican.
- Yellow is the symbol for liberalism in many countries.
Fruit comes to mind first for yellow foods, but there are also many yellow vegetables.
- Wonderfully sweet with firm and creamy flesh, bananas come prepackaged in their own yellow jackets.
- The exceptional juiciness and vibrant tropical flavor of the pineapple, which balances the tastes of sweet and tart, makes them only second to bananas as America’s favorite tropical fruit.
- Juicy and sweet, with a soft, buttery, yet somewhat grainy texture, the white to cream-colored flesh of pears was once referred to as the “gift of the gods.”
- We are just beginning to discover the wealth of nourishment supplied by the mildly sweet flavored and finely textured winter squash. It was once such an important part of the diet of the American Indians that they buried it along with the dead to provide them nourishment on their final journey to the afterlife.
Yellow and our sense of smell
- “Lemon” was the original scent of the yellow colored Magic Scents Crayons from Binney & Smith Inc., introduced in 1994 with mostly food scents. However, there were numerous reports that children were eating the food-scented crayons, so the food scents were retired and replaced with non-food scents. The scent for the color yellow became “daffodil.”
- Lemon Peel: A very strong, fresh lemon scent. Great for summer, very refreshing. Aromatherapy benefits: Uplifting, refreshing, cheering, stimulating, rejuvenating. -Scent It.com